Delicious Blackberry Curd Filled Donuts
This week has been cold and drizzly, AND we have been battling colds and double ear infections. Naturally, some homemade blackberry curd filled donuts were just what the doctor ordered (alongside the amoxicillin).
The passion fruit curd filled donut I had in San Francisco rocked my world, so I thought I would try my hand at something equally as tasty. We had these blackberries sitting in the fridge, and since they were somewhat bitter I figured they'd make a beautiful curd. I was right! Not to mention the rich and creamy purple color it turns! Tasty and pretty food is always a great combo, isn't it?
These little buggers are a bit time consuming, but they are a wonderful way to pass the time with kids who have cabin fever from being quarantined. Can't wait to eat them for breakfast tomorrow!
Blackberry Curd Filled Donut Recipe
Yields 10 donuts
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Adapted from this recipe
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 packets)
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
8 cups vegetable or canola oil (for frying)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (for dusting)
1 cup fresh blackberries
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
Making the Donut Dough
1. Combine warm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar in a mug to activate the yeast. Allow to proof for 5 minutes in a warm place.
2. Pour 1 cup of the bread flour into a large bowl, and stir in the water and yeast mixture with a whisk to make the starter dough. Allow to sit for 30 minutes, uncovered, in warm place. (Sidenote: make sure you get bread flour—yes, there is a difference— if you want your dough airy and fluffy. I used all-purpose flour since it was all I had on hand, and they turned out great, but the bread flour will make them a top notch quality donut!)
3. Combine the eggs, sugar, salt and melted butter and mix well. Add the remaining bread flour and stir with a large spatula until it is fully incorporated.
4. Place the dough on a well floured countertop and knead until soft and smooth—the dough will be sticky, but avoid adding too much additional flour.
5. Place in a clean, greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rest in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour). Meanwhile, prepare the blackberry curd filling (see below).
6. Once doubled in size, place on a lightly oiled and floured countertop and flatten the dough with the palms of your hand until the it is about 3/4" thick. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter (I used a mason jar lid because I don't have a biscuit cutter), shape the donuts and place each piece on a baking sheet or parchment paper. Cover the doughnuts with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes before frying.
Making the Blackberry Curd
1. Puree your blackberries in a blender. Using cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve, strain the seeds from the blackberries into a medium sized bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch and whisk together. Add in the blackberry puree, lemon juice and eggs. Heat on medium until it comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir another minute until it is thick, and then add the butter.
3. Place your curd in a bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. Make sure you cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't form a skin.
Frying and Preparing the Donuts
1. In a large pot, heat the oil to 350˚F. Fry 3-4 donuts at a time for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Make sure the oil isn't too hot, or else the dough will burn on the outside and won't be fully cooked on the inside.
2. Place finished donuts on a paper towel to drain and cool. Once they are warm to the touch, generously cover them in granulated sugar on both sides. Then, use a paring knife to make a tiny hole and use a piping tip to insert about 1 tablespoon of blackberry curd per donut.
3. Serve with a big glass of milk and enjoy!
Get Naughty and Nice Lingerie Here